Date posted - August 9, 2021
About the job
Who we are
Ace Aquatec is an award-winning aquaculture technology company specialising in-water electric stunners; automated waterjet bleeding; gentle contactless pumping; MMPA compliant predator deterrents, 3D biomass cameras and Sea Lice removal systems. We help customers thrive by making their operations efficient, ethical and sustainable.
Role description and purpose
As our Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible for managing, organising, and ensuring efficient execution of design and support projects for the use, development and repair of Ace Aquatec products, throughout their lifecycle. You will work with a variety of products, including 3D biomass cameras, electric stunning systems, acoustic and electric predator deterrents, sea lice removal systems, all designed to improve both operational efficiency and animal welfare standards.
Reporting to the Operations Director, you will lead on installations of Ace Aquatec products, working closely with the Ace Aquatec’s manufacturing partners and client teams. You will be responsible for the engineering and specifications of new installations and ensuring that all UK and international installations conform to the latest engineering regulations and safety requirements. You will provide electrical design support by preparing and checking design documentation, reviews, estimates and schedules. You will also support the business development process by inputting into tender responses.
Experience of the aquaculture, agriculture, marine or offshore industries would be beneficial but is not essential. This role splits its time between hands on and theoretical works, therefore the ability to prioritise and manage your time effectively is essential.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Develop, review, update, modify, and approve electrical design plans and work schedules to meet customer requirements.
- Manage, check and sign off system installations, ensuring that product specification is met and adheres to HSE requirements.
- Design, update and maintain user documentation, and technical files as necessary, specific to each product.
- Provide technical support to customers, Ace Aquatec’s manufacturing partners and R&D department as required.
- Review scientific literature and update where necessary, to support and improve product design.
- Apply engineering principles to the product based on a sound understanding of fish biology and welfare whilst adhering to high standards of safety, reliability and operator satisfaction.
- Design product documentation including all specifications, drawings, design calculations, user documents, technical reports, schematics and technical support material.
- Maintaining and improving existing engineering processes.
- Conducting research, performing diagnostics and troubleshooting equipment.
- Providing work direction to other team members, including subcontractors, as assigned and sharing knowledge and nurturing our junior/up-coming staff in a professional and collegial environment.
- Approving final equipment selections and drawing submittals.
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key customers, clients, partners, and stakeholders.
- Participate in project planning and strategy development, liaising with relevant teams to project fruition.
- Understand overall technical purpose of the solution and work with other departments to produce the product specification and solution.
- Provide technical support to project delivery team, contributing to the project plan and providing engineering expertise where required.
- Contributing to the project specification documentation, ensuring that all specification changes are documented and any effect on functionality, cost or delivery time is flagged appropriately.
- Ensure that project solution integrates with current products and projects as specified.
Experience & Skills:
- BS in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent – Master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the design and installation of complex electrical systems.
- Experience or understanding of electrical fields operating in water, electrical safety circuits and a bias towards power electronics, switch modes and power supplies.
- Proficiencies in LV supply, distribution systems, cable management systems, earthing and bonding designs.
- Excellent PC, MS Office skills, coupled with bespoke programming or design software experience.
- Good working knowledge of legislation, British Standards, European standards, and international standards.
- Experienced to work in complex project environments with and managing third-party vendors and subcontractors.
- Able to analyse data using sound statistical methodology and effectively present technical information.
- Strong communication, negotiation, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Experience in aquaculture, agriculture, marine or offshore industries would be beneficial.