Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Date posted - August 9, 2021
About the job
Who we are
Ace Aquatec is an award-winning aquaculture technology company specialising in-water electric stunners; automated waterjet bleeding; gentle contactless pumping; MMPA compliant predator deterrents, 3D biomass cameras and Sea Lice removal systems. We help customers thrive by making their operations efficient, ethical and sustainable.
Role description and purpose
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer works proactively and collaboratively with clients, staff and other networked experts to provide comprehensive design and high-level fit for purpose engineering solutions.
Reporting to the Operations Director, you will be responsible for formulating and producing valid and viable design solutions quickly through having an acute understanding of mechanical systems, assemblies, details, manufacturing operations and available technologies. You will actively support the business development process, through the creation of bespoke drawings for proposals and meeting prospective and current customers to ensure all these design requirements are correctly captured and documented in the scope of work. You will also produce design for manufacturing specification documents which meet or exceed British engineering standards and approved codes of practice.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Delivery of total life cycle design and engineering projects including concept creation, theoretical and mathematical modelling, risk analysis, CAD development, practical modelling, testing, submission to manufacture and verification.
- Collaborating with architects, clients, structural engineers, manufacturing partners and contractors from concept/feasibility stage on projects.
- Producing fit-for-purpose design solutions and carrying out engineering calculations to ensure drawings meet required robust industry and legal standards.
- Preparing engineering documents, equipment specifications and cost estimates to meet contracted scope of work.
- Support the business development process through input to proposals, meeting and presenting to prospective customers, etc.
- Providing work direction to other team members, including subcontractors, as assigned and sharing knowledge and nurturing our junior/up-coming staff in a professional and collegial environment.
- Approving final equipment selections and drawing submittals.
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key customers, clients, partners, and stakeholders
Experience & Skills:
- BSc/BA honours degree in mechanical design, industrial design, engineering or equivalent.
- At least 10 years of mechanical engineering design experience, of which 5 years must have been spent leading projects.
- A proven ability to take responsibility for the financial viability and profitability of projects under your management.
- Must be an advanced SolidWorks user and proficient with PDM and ideally Simulation – all in a competitive commercial environment.
- Competent with the Microsoft Office suite of software.
- Able to work independently whilst overseeing the work of other colleagues and responding to new and ongoing client requests.
- Time efficient working practices with demonstrated abilities to work to strict deadlines.
- Strong communicator, an intent listener and able to produce high quality technical documents and engineering drawings.
This is a full-time role based in Dundee.
37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday.
Competitive salary dependant on skills and experience.